This year I attended IBM Connect in San Francisco. In my eyes it was a great event and I enjoyed it very much. Some announcements are very important for the future and evolution of the IBM portfolio: IBM Connections Pink – Jason Gary and the IBM Development team showed the future of IBM Connections. The basis will be Docker and a lot of other Opensource products. I see forward to work with a complete new stack and be very curious on deployment, migration and scaling. It is a complete rewrite and will not longer need DB2 or WebSphere.

Read more →

Last week I had an issue that some Domino Server didn’t provide SSO through SPNEGO any longer (environment worked for over 2 years now). This environment uses the customized domcfg.nsf template of Andreas Artner, maybe it’s related, but I don’t think so, on Windows 7 with latest Internet Explorer 11 and Domino Servers 9.0.1 with latest fix pack. So what happened? The Domino servers are placed in the “Local Intranet Zone” of IE through Group Policy from beginning. The Windows administrators started to enable “Enterprise Mode” for better handling of compatibility mode and one of the steps is to deactivate the “Display intranet sites in compatibility View” option.

Read more →

This week I installed IBM Connections 5.5CR1 on a Windows Server. I used WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5.9 and everything ran pretty smooth, but the Connections install itself ended in an error after all applications were successfully installed. The popup showed a regexp error and a long string. The installer ran through the night, so I couldn’t remember this string and started the install again. The Same message box appears after everything was successfully installed (checked through ISC, after the error everything was uninstalled by the Installation Manager) and even the install.log showed nothing special. This time, I remembered the string, it was the password of my WebSphere Administration user!

Read more →

Last week I wrote a post about Using Docker and ELK to Analyze WebSphere Application Server SystemOut.log, but i wasn’t happy with my date filter and how the websphere response code is analyzed. The main problem was, that the WAS response code is not always on the beginning of a log message, or do not end with “:” all the time. I replaced the used filter (formerly 4 lines with match) with following code: grok { # was_shortname need to be regex, because numbers and $ can be in the word match => ["message", "\[%{DATA:wastimestamp} %{WORD:tz}\] %{BASE16NUM:was_threadID} (?<was_shortname>\b[A-Za-z0-9\$]{2,}\b) %{SPACE}%{WORD:was_loglevel}%{SPACE} %{GREEDYDATA:message}"

Read more →

I often get SystemOut.log files from customers or friends to help them analyzing a problem. Often it is complicated to find the right server and application which generates the real error, because most WebSphere Applications (like IBM Connections or Sametime) are installed on different Application Servers and Nodes. So you need to open multiple large files in your editor, scroll each to the needed timestamps and check the lines before for possible error messages. Klaus Bild showed on several conferences and in his blog the functionality of ELK, so I thought about using ELK too. I started to build a virtual machine with ELK Stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash & Kibana) and imported my local logs and logs i got mailed.

Read more →